Thursday, February 09, 2006

ice fishing



And now for a totally different kind of post. I could have written about how we are in the midst of trying to decide what high school to send big sis to next year, how she is making lists of pro's and cons, how its consuming all my conversations with other moms AND how I have to do the same for the twins and how its agonizing me. But enough of that.

I drive along a river to get home and every winter as the cold sets in, more and more huts get set up for people to go ice fishing. First the huts, then the cars/trucks/snowmobiles end up on the ice. And every year when I see them I shake my head and ask "why would someone like to sit in a hut on ice peering at a small hole and pulling out small fish?" OK, the men do it to get away from their wives and go drinking, right? I mean, whenever I see them I think of the movie Grumpy Old Men.

One of my recurring dreams growing up was falling through the ice, being caught underneath, looking up through the ice and looking at the people standing there unable to help me. Guess taht's why I may have a phobia of walking on ice, not ice like on a skating rink, but ice over water. And then every year we hear of someone going through, including kids, and not making it.

So, ice fishing...I just don't get it.

5 comments:

BeachMama said...

Good luck picking a school, I guess it means you didn't camp out last week for a coveted spot as Lisgar?

I also wonder about the ice fishing thing. I understand that fishing is fun and it is a winter thing to do. But, the River doesn't always freeze properly and seriously, with all the rain we have had this winter, do you really want to chance it? I am with you on the healthy fear of skating on natural ice.

Anonymous said...

Next time we get together I will explain the fine art of ice fishing. Haven't done it in a very long time....
A fire/stove happening in the hut, a pillow and sleeping back to curl up in and a good book...that's what ice fishing is about!
I won't mention the food or booze that's consumed either....
I'm a true Northerner I guess
Barb

Anonymous said...

oops..should have been sleeping "bag"
Barb

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of the Olympics too:-D

Silver Creek Mom said...

Picking a high school isn't easy. AND We only had two choices but I think we made the right decision. Good Luck and I'm with you! No way you'd catch me out on the ice like that either!