Thursday, September 21, 2006

one down, another to go

So I spent the whole day at home with baby boy yesterday. He's much better once the antibiotics kicked in. Very strange to be home with only ONE child. Doesn't happen often. It was so nice to spend some one on one time with him. We played board games. We cuddled and watched TV. He helped with laundry. It was pleasant and quiet.

At suppertime, the twins often have this ongoing conversation about what they will do when they grow up. Baby boy has always said he will become a dentist (!). Now he adds he will be a dentist during the winter and a zookeeper during the summer! Baby girl never falters: she wants to work at Farm Boy where there is a lot of good food! As for big sis, they always tell her that she has to work hard at school to get a good job or else she'll end up being a garbage collector to which a lot of "poooey, that stinks" and hysterical laughs ensue. Now yesterday, baby boy looks at me seriously and asks: "what about you mom? what are you going to do when WE are all grown up?" Good question sweetie. As I'm pondering an answer he adds " I know! you'd be very good at drawing pictures for kids' books!!" NO IDEA where he got that from. But so cute!

Talking about big sis, last week I attended the first parent information night at her new school. There I was sitting in this cafeteria with HUNDREDS of other parents. I'm looking around. I don't know anyone. Quite disconcerting. Then we met the teachers for 15 minute blocks of time. And then the knots in my stomach appeared. What a big school. So much change. No longer are they "babied" like in elementary. Their independence and self-organization are primordial now.

Just as I was half-heartedly expecting, baby girl started complaining of an earache last night. One down, another to go. Hit her with all the meds and by midnigth she was finally asleep. She's still sleeping now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will be OK today. Especially since I have a LONG overdue hairdresser appointment that I would hate to cancel.

Blogger finally is cooperating. Added a picture of my breakfast table to yesterday post. I should have taken it after all the food, glasses, cups and saucers where layed out. Oh well. And below, some flowers one of the guests brought me. Blue roses. Cool!

5 comments:

Silver Creek Mom said...

Beautiful Roses.

I have been thinking the same thing what will I do when Nathan is grown up? Will I want to do anything. I always thought I would have a career but in what I don't know.

We can chat.

Hugs

nancy said...

I hope everyone is healthy very soon. I had a boy who was 'off' the other day and slept for 3 hours in the afternoon, so I also got to truly enjoy that one on one time you mentioned. We played board games, read books all cuddled up, cleaned the fish tank together, played cards, it was SOOO nice.

Blue roses are very unique!!

Good Things I Find said...

Like you said "Blue Roses." "Cool!" I love the color blue.

BeachMama said...

Cool blue roses. Love the table setting. Hubby pulled out the camera last Friday night when all was ready and served and here it was powerless. Yep, I forgot to charge the batteries, how sad.

Hope the kids are better soon, maybe just treat them all ;).

Oh yes, I don't kow what I want to do when I grow up.

DaniGirl said...

Oh, how sweet that they talk about what they want to be when they grow up - and that you would make a good illustrator!! So cute!

I hope everyone is healthy soon, and btw, all that description of your brunch is simply cruel to a starving pg woman munching unhappily on almonds...